Saturday, May 21, 2005

eNZed - day 7 (21-5-5)

Woke up at the Pinnacles Hut.. the 80 bed "hut" that was sleeping 7 people. Those 7 were soon just three as the Alaskans left, then to be 40+ people as they streamed in today.

We ate some PB&Nutella, pecked by birds, and a dead fire. I had made sure to follow the instructions on how to stoke the fire for the night, but apparently I missed something. I had developed a sore throat from our nice walk in the rain yesterday, so I chose to sit out finishing the hike to the Pinnacles Formation another 100 or so meters above the hut (in the rain, of course). Dave sat reading and Angelica read her book before they left and I sat trying to get the fire started.Lighting the fire was much more frustrating that I was expecting, but I eventually rose to the occasion and litl the beckoning fire that led many day-trampers and many more over-nighters out way.

I had a nice talk with Charles our Camp Warden about nature and politics and living in the woods before the crowds started showing up. Next thing I knew, there were 300 little kids coming in and out of every door to the little room that I had spent all day trying to warm up so that I could chase my cold away. They hassled me about my sour gummi worms, but didn't manage to get any away, before they chased me out of the kitchen to hide in my bed for the night.

Soon after, Dave and A showed up with nice stories of the hike and the people they met,


as well as worried expressions towards all the little childern. Dave was ready to leave instantly, but I pointed out that by the time we packed up and got out, we wouldn't be able to make it to the car before dark, which wasn't the safest plan. I also wanted some more time to sleep off my cold and nurse my blisters til morning, so the plan was to get up early and get out before the kids.

Unfortunately, it turned out sleep in the "child free quarters" wasn't as good as I wanted due to the incredibly loud snoring of the guy sleeping in the bunk under me. I lost it after someone asked him to shut up the first time and he got going again, and told him to shut up, but it didn't really help. ugh.

To look at all the pics from Day 7, click here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home