Thursday, June 2, 2005

eNZed - day 19 (2-6-5)

When we woke up it was very cold. It blew and rained all night and made my morning toilet rather uncomfortable. I definitely didn’t want to get out of my sleeping bag and get dressed, but the bladder had made it’s position clear. I ate some noodle soup for breakfast and we were off to the Dawson Falls trail.



It was a nice short walk through moss and lichen covered trees. Very cool. While we were watching the waterfall and taking pics, we got caught in a small hail storm. It lasted about 15-20 minutes and left a nice coating of little ice balls on the sides of the trail. The falls were definitely flowing from all the rain.



After the walk we went in to town and got a Subway sandwich (and feijoa juice) and headed out. Dave and I went to the warehouse and check email, while A went off to shop for a new bag. After our errands, Dave and I walked down by the water and sat for a bit before going back to find A. We also stopped in a music store for a bit (since she was late) and looked around for some blank page books/journals.We finally met up with A at an art store after getting smoothies – I got the sweet cheeks (naturally) and she got the peach pleasure. The smoothie shop owner said that the juice craze going on elsewhere hadn’t really caught on in NZ yet and we couldn’t figure out why. They’re so good!


After leaving town, we made our way to the White Cliffs via the 3 Sisters. At 3 Sisters we made an early dinner (dave just couldn’t wait) and A did the black sand dance over and over again while I taped her. It was very similar to the “YAY! They have pot!” dance =). We had Kumara curry soup and pasta.




Dave and I sat on the rocks for a while, then A and I watched a dead goat wash around between the river and ocean for a bit while we gathered the stones to get closer and closer squealing about how disgusting it was the whole time.





Then we drove out to the closed White Cliffs walk for long enough to listen to a few songs and then get back on our way to Otorohanga (oh-tore-oh-hahn-ga). Once in town we sniffed out a Kiwi park so I could redeem my butt rubbing and dave could sweat in a weight room for a couple of hours. We’re hoping to find a cheap glow worm/cave adventure while we’re here.



The family that ran the kiwi park was quite amusing. The dad had some very short shorts on and seems happily confused most of the time. After much deliberation about the wonder vs. the excitement, Dave and I decided to go for the $225 abseil trip into the Lost World Cave. A squirmed around for a while and finally called Clay, and I still didn’t finish enough of my postcards!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home