Tuesday, November 13, 2007

China Day 13

Today was rough. I mean rough. First of all I got NO sleep on the train. I had a bed, I had a pillow, I had a blanket. I was lulled by the rhythm of the train... until it lurched every 10 minutes or so and shook me. I was also uncomfortably aware of the fact that my computer was just under the bunk under me and that anyone could walk by and grab it at any time. Consequently, I tensed up and opened my eyes every time someone walked by.
So understandably, morning came early. We were all excited to see Ming waiting for us at the terminal. A few of us were happy and irritated at the same time since we could have avoided all of the planning and worrying the night before, but hey at least he was there and he had a giant truck that we were to put everything in that we didn't absolutely need for the day. I could have kept a few things if I hadn't been sleep deprived, but oh well. I'll take pictures when we go back in a few days on the 17th.
We met up with the truck, unloaded, and then took taxis to the bus station at the border. The taxi rides were hilarious. The one I was in with Rhonda and Kristin and I don't remember who else was FLYING. The guy was driving like me when I get sassy! It was so fun, especially when we passed the car carrying Ming and Shifu - guess the guy knew where he was going and wanted to get the most os his payment.
The border crossing consisted of walking into the border on the China side, filling out a form, going through the passport checker, and out to a bus station. There we waited with Ming (cause Shifu had places to be she went on) for everyone, got on a bus which then took us to the Hong Kong side of the border where we again filled out a form and waited in a line to get through the passport check. Then we waited again on the other side for everyone and got on bug #14 to Tsuen Wan. This bus took us to the part of town we'll be staying in after the 17th. It was interesting looking.. not as busy as I was expecting, but I don't really know how big Hong Kong is. It was pretty funny trying to keep up with Ming. They guy must be an olympic power walker. Of course the usual people were complaining that they couldn't keep up, and were yelling and whining, but we made it to L'Hotel where we waited around for the delivery of our Taoist costumes.
After changing we hopped on the shuttle to the temple. When we arrived, Polly and Rhonda were helping each other get all the hair tucked into the hats and they were swarmed by photographers. It was more than a little disconcerting, but most likely completely due to the fact that they are both blond (and cute) as none of the rest of us were getting hassled (I was a little disappointed, I admit it). We walked in, met a few people, and then stood with a bunch of other Taoists for the opening ceremony. It took me a while to realize this, but we were able to see ANYTHING. It was so f-ing hot, especially with 4 layers on with my tank top, WMI tshirt, shirt, and robe on top and 2 pair of pants and the robe on the bottom. It was torturous having had no sleep and not having any water. After the opening was over and we were hoping we didn't look like too big of fools since we didn't know any of the songs or when we were supposed to bow, kneel, turn around, or anything like that... we had lunch (very tasty).
After lunch some of us mutinied and left to go hang out in Hong Kong for the afternoon. This was me, Chris, Polly, Zach, Bowen, Christine, and Aadrien. We walked around til we all found a place to get a massage (Chris at the first place) Zach and Bowen at the second, Polly and I at the 3rd and who knows where Aadrien and Christine went. Polly and I lucked out and get the only semi-good massages of the day. Then we had some tea before walking around to find some place to eat. We ended up with hot pot and made it back to L'Hotel in time to do the revers of this morning to end up at the garden place tonight.
Now, I must have gotten the wrong idea from Shifu cause I could have sworn that she said the words, "2.5 hours out of town", "5000 acre organic research garden", "so far away that last time we got lost", and such things. It took maybe an hour and the city bus took us there!! I couldn't believe this crap. We'll see what it looks like in the morning, but right now I'm irritated. PLUS, most of the rooms reek of mold (luckily not mine).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home