Thursday, November 29, 2007

Flowery Afterthoughts

The 10 (+/-) of us that came right back to Honolulu arrived yesterday at 10am. I was soooo excited to get off the plane and take a big sniff of some dank humid air that didn't have any hints of sewage in it, instead the air smelled slightly of worms as it does after a good amount of rain.

The island was dark green from all the rain recently which was great to see. The air was clear and the sky cloudy. I was so happy to go in the line marked US citizens. We were all so happy to be back, there was much hugging and smiling and plan making to spend more time together now that we're back. I hope it happens.

Dave got an ear full from the moment I saw him until the fatigue from a sleepless flight set in with the added spice of sadness from the disbanding of my family for the last month set in back at the apartment. I hadn't been expecting that feeling and was even more surprised that it hadn't changed after a nice 4 hour nap. I woke up only because I had promised myself lasagna for dinner and had to make good on it. Dave and I walked down to Arminio's (I think that's the name) in Waikiki, and although I was still stuck in that place of limbo that comes with a long trip, I had the best lasagna I've ever had. I don't know if it was the best because of the month in China or if it's just the best ever ever! It was that good. I'll know (maybe) in a few when I heat up the rest for my breakfast. Halfway through my meal I was surprised to find that I had a weird sensation of heartache or something like that - I think it was because the food was finally something that would stick to my bones and somehow that allowed this emotion to come out. It was very strange and I had some tears to deal with.

After 12 hours of sleep I feel much better although still not completely myself. Unpacking is moving along at my usual slow pace as I try to figure out where I'm going to put most of the newly accumulated stuff.

I really hope that those of us on the trip stay as close as we became during this crazy month away. I'd hate to lose those connections. So far plans are in motion for a before Christmas party at Polly's sometime around the 13th!

2 Comments:

Blogger Snowy said...

YAY! Welcome back!

Hey, First Friday next week! You going? Allan has a friend coming in from London for two weeks so I think he wanted to go, but I have to be at a wedding in Waianae at 8am the next morning, so I'm not sure if I want to be in town that night. Hmmm....

11/29/2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm probably not going - I have Late Thanksgiving up on the North Shore. Tell Allan I say Hi!

11/29/2007 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home