Wednesday, August 17, 2005

yuck and yum

So I'm assuming that not everybody is into Tom Robbins or has even read any of his books, but I think he's hilarious. After reading my previous post about Steve and me going to the bar and getting lycheetini's and the big "YUM" after, I couldnt' help but think of Robbins' book Still Life With Woodpecker and the mantra of the Woodpecker being a simple statement of yuck or yum in regards to a situation. It works so well! I love it! Plus it's just funny for some reason. I don't know, maybe it reminds me of little kids because it's so simple and to the point.
Anyway, if you're looking for a good laugh, interesting ideas, and some weird story lines that may make the people around you slightly uncomfortable you should check him out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

I still havent read any Robbins but I beleive he's brilliant. Only a genius could come up with peach fish.

8/18/2005 6:34 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

ya gotta start with the Fierce Invalids.. GET IT NOW!!

8/18/2005 10:18 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Ok, since you mentioned Fierce Invalids, I thought I'd give you a quote. " 'No chance in hell, pal. But I appreciate the chat. The the senorita I'll dream about her for the rest of my life. And hang in there, Pot. Ain't nothing to lost but our winnings, and only the winners are lost.' "

PS
I think that Skinny Legs and All, Still Life with Woodpecker, or Jitterbug Perfume are better Robbins starters...

8/19/2005 9:41 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

They're better starters if you're worried about the readers ability to understand young girls wanting to sleep with older guys and vice versa..

8/19/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

That and buttfucking a nun! Haha. I guess I didn't have much of a problem with that part tho! I guess I just enjoy the female leads in Skinny Legs and Woodpecker. That was one of my draws to Robbins. And while I love Switters, he truely is all male through and through. Also, I have to critize Robbins for not addressing an issue I have with youthful sexuality, what happened to the young boys? I think many long to be properly "trained" by an older woman. It isn't just a matter of getting comfortable with yourself, you gotta know what the fuck your doing! It's ok for younger girls to be with older men, but younger men with older women?!? Where are good pedifiles when you need them? Thoughts?

8/19/2005 11:57 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Well, I feel like older women with younger men is rather universally accepted - As long as the guy's not in highschool and the woman his history teacher.. I believe all is well on that one. If you're talking about finding an older woman that would actually teach a younger guy anything worth while and be a good person and all that, though i imagine that's as hard to find as an older guy who's not just looking for a young hot tight lay.

8/19/2005 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home