Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A weekend on the north shore

This past weekend, everyone in my school headed up to the north shore for a weekend long fresh herbs class. It was especially fun because we got to camp out for two nights right on the beach in Mokuleia.

We learned about the uses of 50 plants - some new, some we've been over before - and of course we all stood and presented our ideas on the origins of life. I was pleasantly surprised to find that everyone geeked out in their own ways to answer this fundamental question. It was also wonderful to reestablish what a friendly, supportive, and open group of people I'm lucky enough to be in school with. I got to have some really interesting conversations about new research that's gone on which says that plants are able to connect with our emotional states and even across great distances will react if you're genuinely happy or sad. ..And now I know why my house plants die when I freak out that I'm going to accidently kill them.

Ian and Liz


Amy


Charyse


Josh


Shifu, Walker, Aadrien


Jorge and Matt


After the class was over Liz, Ian, and I had dinner at Cholo's and then Dave and Heather stopped in for a little meet and greet. I was practically falling asleep, but I could keep myself from watching sunset at Waimea - it was one of the prettiest I've seen!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

In the Shifu, Walker, Aadrien- why does everyone seem so stressed/concentrating?

Nice sunset pic.

12/09/2008 11:15 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

everyone's listening to the 'origin of life' papers but it was really difficult to hear and it was the last few papers that were getting presented - it got kinda tedious.

12/10/2008 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home