Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Good Times

Every once in a while my job is fun. Today I got to run around in the woods with Bryan and Dave (my boss, not my boyfriend) and it was great! We went to this place in Wahiawa that I didn't know existed and ran around looking at areas that will be cut back for development soon. I'm sure everyone agrees with me that this is unfortunate, but what can you do when you don't have billions of dollars to buy up everything you don't want covered with buildings?

I saw soo many big trees and a bunch of flowers that I've never seen before! Like this one!

It had fuzzy flower bud that were so soft I wanted to rub my cheek on it but they're too small and my boss already thinks I'm crazy. The flowers looked fake, like plastic, but they weren't plastic, they were new wonderful flowers for me *grin* AND!!!! I found a thimbleberry!! For those of you who are unknowingly saddened by never having eaten a thimbleberry... they are the best berry ever. EVER. Don't even argue with me because you're wrong =) they look like large raspberries with very small seeds like strawberries and my mouth waters when I try and think about how they taste so I can describe it. Which I cannot.

BUT! back to the point at hand.. I got to rememeber once again that while I am not crazy about hiking on trails, I love to bushwhack and run around in the woods with no trail but with a topo map. It's more fun with a good compass and cool rocks to map, but I get what I get. I also got to scramble down a small cliff (6') with a nice tree root ladder, hop across a stream, and climb up a rock wall to prove it could be done and was easier than whacking all the way back to where we had originally crossed (which was not nearly as fun since it was slippery and wet mud with no rock wall to climb) to my boss and Bryan (isn't that a great camera phone pic? I don't have a pic of Dave). This as also great because of the 2 or 3 toddlers that were shocked to a standstill when we popped out of the woods on the other side of the fence (and cliff face and stream) from their playground. They watched us scramble over with gurgling interest which was even more funny in comparison to the one mom out there who did not look excited at all at the fact that the little tinys now knew that life was possible beyond the fence hehehe...

Of course, the wonderfulness couldn't last forever, and at noon, returning to the office was a buzzkill. Fortunately, Maui calls me away from the durges for tomorrow. I will try to get some cool pics for y'all =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home