Thursday, January 12, 2006

Glaciers

Does anyone else love glaciers? Cause I do.. =) Look at that!



Wouldn't it be kick ass if Dave could time-lapse over the course of a year.. or 100+? We could go some crazy place like the Juneau Ice field and set up a camera.. and then we could occasionally go back and maintain.. I'm sure the power source would be a bitch, but I'm getting ahead of myself here...
Look at the patterns of dirt and gravel in the ice.. that's so cool! That's from the glacier ripping chunks off the mountains all around it. . that's how Yosemite formed! That's why no state in the upper midwest has any topsoil! It's so easy to think of a glacier as a river of ice when it has the lateral and medial moraines in it like that.
To give a quick story about how big of a geek I am... A couple of years ago (try 6 or so) I was supposed to go out with some friends to a bar (where I couldn't drink cause I wasn't 21 yet), but I was an hour and a half late cause the Discovery channel had this show on where they were talking about all of this glacial research going on. They were talking about Lake Vostok in antartcica and how it has all these crazy life forms in it cause it's a lake (liquid) but it's burined under a couple miles of ice in the middle of Antarctica! I also have this image in my head of this point inthe show where they go back to this area where some scientists (not sure if they were geos or not) had carved out a cross-section of the glacier and poked some nails in the ice at different depths to see how the ice moves in relation to depth. they had thought it would be linear but it turned out to be more of an exponential.. moving quite fast at the top, but falling off as it got deeper. I don't know why, but that really stuck with me. I got all excited, and that's when I thought that it would be super fun to go to Antarctica.. and now that I've pestered Rosie about it, I know it'd be super fun to go to Antarctica... but how to do it.. hmmm..

anyway, that's my geo babble for the day. And if you've already read Dave's "i love fighting" babble, I have to say I agree. Lots of chill people (except for the one we all already know about). And I'm all excited about boxing. It was so fun, and I'm so sore =)! I could barely type with my left hand yesterday cause it was so tired and shakey (much better today, but my back hurts in a lot of new places).. =) yay!

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane Harrington said...

what a beautiful picture I've almost quit renting dvd's because I usually end up watching discovery or TLC and never finish the movie I wish cable tv allowed you to pay a certain price and just pick the stations you wanted to recieve

1/22/2006 6:09 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's what I"M talking about! I'd pay for the cool science channels and maybe enought o get me the daily show on comedy central..

1/23/2006 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home