Friday, September 22, 2006

Overloaded

So I've been the center of quite the whirlwind of stuff since school started. I am REALLY enjoying all of my classes, but it's definitely been a strain trying to work full time and go to school full time. On the other hand, I've never felt more motivated to get shit done. For the first tme really - I'm actually doing all of my homework.. I'm actually reading the books, taking notes on my own, and doing it right when I get home from work (mostly cause that's the only time I have - I really have no time to put it off). It feels strangely good.
Maybe not so strangely when I think about how I'm really interested in all parts of the subject. Having to be in the clinic from the beginning is awesome. It puts every class I'm taking into perspective. There is none of the wondering about what the hell some class is for, or when will I ever be using any of this crap.. cause I'm in there and I'm being shown how much I don't know, then I sit in class learning all about all the stuff I needed the other day... How great is that?? It's so practical!
I wanted to do a big post on all of this stuff earlier, but as my brain hasn't really been needed too much in the last three years since I graduated and started my job, it got quite the shock and made me want to do nothing but sleep while I was mildly freaking out about being able to get everything done for class, AND be able to sit at my job all day long (getting some shit done), AND get some exercise, AND get to hang out with Dave (which (thankfully or not) hasn't had the chance to really be added into the equation yet since he's on top of Haleakala frantically getting HIS shit taken care of..). So by now most (if not all) of anyone who actually reads this thing, knows that Dave and I each bought cars.. (..whoa..) it's been VERY helpful reducing the stress of school and work for me, although I really miss the bragging rights I got for not owning a car for 3 years. This decision was also partially induced by the recent visit of my cousins (Erin, Aren, and Tanner) - they got jobs.. and will be moving here.. and will most likely be buying a house that Dave and I will be helping them out with.. possibly on the windward side! So if that is going to be our new reality in a couple of months, we needed a way to get around.. welcome to adult life. I say that cause it kind of felt that way. Like I was acknowledging a new level of personal responsibility (while poking at a more comfortable responsibility having to do with NOT having a car and buying oil and gas and all that...). It's still feeling a little strange.
But I have my first 'real' test tomorrow morning, so I'll see how much I've learned (about traditional chinese medicine, anyway).

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Is the chinese language/kanji incorporated into your lesson so you will know some by the time you finish with your studies?

9/23/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yeah.. It's not formally incorporated, but we can do it if we want.. It does seem to help.

9/23/2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger geekedout said...

we've definately taken some big steps the last few months......

9/26/2006 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home