Monday, June 5, 2006

Yay!

Amazingly enought, we actually accomplished something at work today. Instead of things breaking and other crap interrupting the job (like me missing my plane), we actually drove the piles ALL day. I might be having to leave Maui on time after all.

Anyway, if you're wondering what a pile looks like.. here you go.


That Fraggle Rock stick is a piece of concrete measuring 1'x1'x60'. It looks pretty small, huh?
Anyway they bang that thing into the ground and I count how many times they hit it. We did this 9 times today. The previous record was twice in a day. Large improvement.

This morning I started Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado. It's about that Rugby team whose plae crashed into the Andes in 1972. The movie Alive was based on the first book about it by Piers Paul Read. Anyway, this guy Nando was one of the survivors of that crash, and more interestingly, one of the 2 who hiked out of the Andes to save their friends. It is amazing. I can't stop reading it because it's so honest. He really tells everything he can and it's amazing the things that went through his head. It's making me ask myself a lot of the same questions, but unlike him, I'm not being faced with an imminant life and death situation right now.

After work, I took a much needed shower to clean off the diesel grease (Sean, picture the neck nastyness) and sweat, then I ate some yummy farmers market salad and went to take some sunset/rain pics. The clouds were so cool and I knew if Dave were here he would have been all excited, but my pics didn't turn out very well, even though I took ~150 while I read my book..

here's what I've got.


Clouds and Lanai

West Maui

A little cinder cone south of Kihei

Clouds and beach


Sunset looking south

Sunset looking at West Maui
Sunset looking at Lanai


3 Comments:

Blogger geekedout said...

those aren't bad at all! good work girly. the rock stick looks a little strange. do they ever hit them too hard and break them?? it seems like you'd have to be pretty careful with it.

6/07/2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

They've never broken while I've been watching, but it is freaky when they are whacking away and the pile is flexing and wiggling around. I try and make sure to stay clear.
It's one of the only jobs where I don't mind wearing the hard hat.

6/09/2006 10:23 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Like the pics. I can't believe that Maui is so close to you! Hope you're havin fun. Went the BBasin this weekend w/ Erica- was thinkin of our time up on the ridge!

6/11/2006 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home