Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Seattle

I had a very lazy morning today. It was great to be able to sleep in finally after all the early days since Santa Cruz. I did feel kinda guilty though that Elly and Chris had to get up and go to work, but what can you do?

Anyway, so I got a note from them to call when I got downtown and we'd go to lunch. Excellent!

I eventually got myself out the door, armed with maps and bus schedules, got on the right bus and was on my way.


I had a nice little adventure finding them down in the marketplace area (it wasn't difficult - gotta love cell phones) and we had an awesome lunch at a Turkish deli - I had a borek (?) I think, chicken and it was one of the most wonderful things I've ever had. The chicken was super moist and flavorful and it was all wrapped inside of phyllo dough. yum! We also had a square each of rose flavored turkish delight which reminded me of corn based mochi. I loved it!

After lunch, I spent my time wandering around the public marketplace. I looked at everything (except the fish) and ended up buying a new toe ring. I'd lost the one I'd had since I was 15 soon after moving to HI at magic island because I forgot to take it off... stupid!

After I got through the market, I headed down to the waterfront to take some pics and head towards the sculpture park.

I ended up getting a little confused at the park and thought it was only very small. I did enjoy some of the sculptures were pretty cool - like the metal tree and the rusty waves.

Something about the sun and the nice looking grass at the park (plus this group of girls I saw sleeping) was making me very tired. I finished walking around and found myself a snuggly looking spot to write postcards before laying out my hoodie to enjoy a short nap. While I was writing the postcards, my friend Steve called from Portland! He and I hadn't spoken since 1999! Crazy! We made plans to meet up in Portland after I got off the train. I'll be crashing at his place tomorrow night. It's going to be interesting!

Here's a pic of my toe ring for Cassie.... ;) try to control yourself!

The half wakeful nap in the grass was pretty fun. It kinda felt like being at the beach because of the heat of the sun, but there were a lot of people walking by all the time (it was quitting time and people were getting some exercise) and I really enjoyed listening in to the 10-15 second snippets of conversation as they walked by.




I was just getting a little restless when Elly called saying they were going to be heading home soon and did I want to have some Thai food tonight.. it's like she read my mind! I love Thai!

I had a small adventure getting the bus back to Chris and Elly's house (missed it and didn't know I had to catch the next one in a new location!) but it was all good and they'd been considerate and had waited for me before eating.

I got to meet Chris, Elly, and Erin's friend Anne Catherine (strange to meet another anne catherine from seattle..) who's a chef - interesting stories from cruise ship living too!

The food was good and spicy and overall I'm just pumped that I got to come up here and see another wonderful possible place for me to consider living when I'm finished with school.

These are the cherries that we picked yesterday before we left Hood River for good!! I didn't want to stop picking!! They look like jewels.

1 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

I'm so glad you had a good time in my homeland!! And you will definitely have to come visit come dreary season :)

Also. I have totally bought jewelry from your toe ring lady. I have a similar ring and I REMEMBER her because she gave me a discount for being a scientist, which I thought was fantastic. Yay Seattle!

8/05/2008 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home