Thursday, May 10, 2007

Coconut Island

I got a new job about a month ago and Dave has been complaining that I haven't updated my life on the blog.

I now work at Coconut Island for HIMB (Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology) for the same lab as Erin, working on research and mapping of Pacific coral reefs. Now, I'm not doing any of the mapping... so don't assume that.

Right now I'm helping out with some data processing, web site stuff, and a little bit with an experiment on how global warming will effect the acidity of ocean water and how that will effect the ability of a specific coral species babies ability to attach to something and start to grow. The experiment will be getting set up next month, but I helped with the pilot experiment last week - pretty fun!



So If you haven't figured it out, here are some pics from Google Earth of coconut island. I tried to mess with the pics a pit and show where i sit on the island, but I can't seem to figure out how to do some simple things with Gimp yet. Anyway. There it is. I sit out on the point in the lower right corner (NOT the lower middle point) if you're looking at the top picture. The lower pic is a zoom out so you can see where the island is in relation to Kaneohe (East side of the island).

I'll try and remember to bring out a camera and get some shots of what it looks like on the ground...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home