Sunday, June 3, 2007

Kayak!

Sean, Dave, and I met Rahul, Ashish, and Kathy at Lanikai yesterday for a beach/kayak adventure day.




It could not have been a more perfect day! The water was ridiculously warm, the air was clear so
we could see Molokai, no hateful wind... What more could you want?



We paddled out to the Mokulua Islands (I got to sucker Sean into letting me paddle) and walked around to the back. We saw lots of salt crystallizing out of evaporating ocean water and some crazy-ass fish living in the hyper-saline water.


The island looks like it's made from a number of dikes intruding into some other flows.. but my geo brain is faded, so maybe Dave will have more to say about this. Either way, it's crazy looking.

The cliffs were totally out with no clouds dirtying their slopes - it made for quite the view! When we got back to the front of the island Dave and I snorkeled and saw lots of sea cucumbers. Sean went out after us and was very excited about fluorescent Hawaiian fish.


When we got back to Lanikai, Aren had shown up with Kona. It was crazy seeing such a giant dog on the beach. He does love swim-fetch. Later Erin and Tanner came out and we took Tanner out on the kayak. He thought it was pretty cool and didn't want to go back to the beach.

After the beach we all met up at Rahul's for a crazy huge BBQ. Many astro-kids showed up surprisingly, but DnA, Alicia, Erin, Aren, and Tanner, Dave, Sean, and I out lasted the others and had a late night pool/hot tub session. I barely made it to the car and almost got swallowed up by Rahul's futon. Great day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

oh i love love love looking at your pictures. a wave of home sickness flew over me. damn the colors look so nice! i love hawaii and the ko'olaus look amazing. i must tell you my story of the mok's one day. it is quite heroic on my part :) take care :))

6/07/2007 11:46 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I steal all my pictures from Dave (mostly).. He blogs more than me so you should check his out too!

6/14/2007 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home