Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Train to Portland

I had quite the adventure getting to the train station this morning! I ended up missing my bus because I was screwing around trying to find something like nail clippers to attend to my bleeding stubbed toe. I was understandably irritated by the fact that I heard bus go by and had to call Chris and Elly to figure out what to do.

I felt terrible and irresponsible because Elly had to get a zipcar and come get me and drive me to the train station. I made it with 5 minutes to get to the train. Good thing trains aren't like airplanes!!

I lucked out and was seated next to an amazing grandma named Kate. She was really great and we ended up talking for most of the ride. I realized at some point that I was in the caboose and got all excited - when I was little I was crazy about cabooses! I had to call my mom and give her the trip update, complete with caboose excitement!

It was good to voice all the things that have been coming together for me. I really don't feel like I need to move now that I've seen the pacific northwest. I've been feeling drawn to this area for the last 10 years, and had even wanted to move to this area before I moved to Hawaii, but wasn't able to find a job... but I'd never actually been here. It's been great to actually get to experience it, even though it's only for a week! Nice that I'm getting to see the best weather time of year too.. I'll have to make sure to come visit Anne during the dreary rainy season!! I love big trees in the rain!! ..and eating soup!

So while I was talking to Gma Kate, we started talking about Powell's Books. Now she's the 3rd or 4th person to tell me that I HAVE to go to this place while I'm in Portland so that's it. I'm going. And she told me she'd walk me there after we got off the train since she was going there anyway.

I made arrangements with Steve to meet him there and off we went!

We walked through the Pearl district and she left me at a soup restaurant across the street from the largest bookstore in the country.

The soup was pretty delicious and fueled me for me 3 hour stint in one corner of one floor. I looked at the Chinese language section, the Taoism section, the breast cancer section, and the self-help sex section... next thing I knew it was 5:00!!

Steve came and met me and my next adventure began!!







While I was on the train, I realized that movies were the best way to capture the experience. It was just too difficult to try and take pics. So here's a movie of one of the many bridge crossings - they were my favorite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home