Saturday, October 8, 2005

ankle day 7, plus doc rant!

I know this is a lot to post in one day, but hey.. a lot's going on. READ IT ANYWAY!

So here's the ankle. I'm quite irritated about this right now. I caved on Friday and went and got it xrayed. I did this mostly cause it feels like it's getting worse and even though I have much experience with the ankle spraining, it's never gotten worse like this. So (understandably, I feel) I thought, "it's possible that I actually might have fractured or torn or broken something.. I should get it looked at. " The one faulty premise was assuming that the doctors out here were going to be worth talking to.. this time. Can you feel the sarcasm?

So I make an appt... go in there tell the dr. what's happening: Mainly when I woke up Sunday morning, it wasn't pleasant to walk on, but got increasingly better as the day drew on. I was taking it very easy, only hobbling around as was necessary, because all the other times I've done this it was helpful to walk it out. I had it wrapped in an ace bandage (not too tight, with the air
cast on it). This seemed to be working just fine until wed. or thurs. when it started hurting much worse (aching and sharp pains when walking). I really started feeling like I should maybe not walk on it at all, but I have to go to work, I have to put something on the old time sheet, right? So Friday it's really bothering me. Aching and hurting badly if I did anything but sit with it at least proped up on a chair. So doc says "hmmm... nothing useful, nothing useful... Let's order an xray."
Excellent, that's just what I wanted. So I go and get the xray. Then I have to wait for the results. So doc says, "they didn't see any breaks.. so how many days do you want off work?" Um, none. Sick days are the same as vacation days, so I'm not going there. So now doc doesn't really know what to do. I'm still sitting there, I"m still asking questions.. "ok, so no breaks, that's good.. but what's with the hurting? How come it's swelling still?" So he starts telling me about how in some sprains small pieces of bone can get pulled off and that can cause it to hurt more, but 'they' didn't see any of that in the xray. Whoa, hang on a sec. First of all.. 'they'? Meaning doc didn't even look at the xray himself??? That's crap right there. Second, 'they' should have seen it cause I did that before. Last time I got an xray the doc was very interested in pointing
that out. And that wasn't even noticed??!! Not feeling especially confident with the doc here. So then he put's the icing on... "So would you like an aircast?"

"You mean this thing right here in my hand that I pointed out when you first came in here?" Glad to see you're paying attention, couldn't float a chicken past you right now could I.
"oh.. I didn't see that."
Yeah. "how about you give me some crutches? Since it's really hurting me to walk on it (by the way, thanks for making me walk down to the xray on another floor, and then all the way back.. jackass) maybe that would be a good idea?"

So that's pretty much how it went-a perfect illustration of why I didn't want to go to the dr in the first place. No help at all. Sure I got told I have a clean xray, but somehow I can't really convince myself that anyone really looked at it that should have known what they were doing. If "they" means the guy who took the xray, that doen't really make me feel much better.

That was yesterday. Today is pretty much the same. It hurts. I don't want to walk on it. I feel like it's getting worse, but I can't rule out the possibility that I'm just expecting it to get better and it's not. The swelling keeps moving around and is not going away. I've iced it, I've heated it, I've put the kung fu juice on it, I'm taking Arnica 6 times a day (just for you mom and dad).. I don't really know what else to do

1 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

Ya that sucks. One of the problems with Drs. in general and maybe especially in Hawaii. Maybe its getting better? Kinda how stuff gets itchy as it heals? Trying to be hopeful here. Tried glucosamine? Helped my knee.

10/12/2005 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home