Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Good Grief

So just when I thought maybe my airport/plane ridiculousness was over, I was at the wrong gate (again) for a while cause the desk never announced it.. so I get over there and everyone's piled up infront of the counter! I'm thinking, "what the hell?! Are they delaying this flight too and having a pile of people having to reschedule their connections?? what is it with today and this whole trip in general?" but with way more cursing..

So I hung out for a while and waited to see if there were any announcements or if they changed the departure time.. and they didn't, but I called my dad anyway letting him know to keep checking cause it looks like this one's getting delyayed too.. and as soon as I get off the phone they started boarding. Sweet. I'm glad I over reacted and they have their shit together and it's nothing I need to get excited about. So once I'm seated - which took a while cause this crazy bitch was taking up the whole row I was sitting in - I walked up to her and kinda tapped her on the back and said nicely - hey I'm in this seat. And she snaps back - hang on - with a LOT of attitude. I wasn't really in a mood for that crap so I kind of turned to whomever was behind me just to get a second opinion on whether or not that was completely unecessary or not. That woman raised her eyebrows and gave a look of complete disapproval - which I took as a go ahead to be a little more sassy myself if I felt like it. So I said just a sec to her and tried to get my ass out fo the aisle cause they were trying to load the plane and take off as quickly as possible.. so I said kinda loud, I'll just move over here while THIS lady is taking her time. and the woman that was behind me moves quickly past saying - Yeah she is! - looking pissed. That actually got me laughing a bit, especially cause the whole reason this was happening was because she was trying to unbungee her bag off this fold up bag caddy, fold everything up, tie up the bungees and awkwardly stuff them up in the overhead bins. So while she's finally doing the stuffing with lots of going back for more and doing all the collapsing and tying up IN THE AISLE this old man gives her a (nicely said) What are you doing? again she snaps back, but this time it's, I'M TAKING MY TIME! complete with dirty looks to the nice old man and his wife, and as a yeah I heard you bitch to me. To me now, this is turning into kind of a good time. I love a good bitch-off when I'm already annoyed.. but I did think the plane was not a good place for it.

So when this is finally settled (not too much more happened, she just busted herself down to the toilet, expecting everyone to get out of her way) and we were in the air, I had my moment of, whew! we're in the air and this is my last plane ride for 2 weeks. sweet. But then.. ugh, I get annoyed just thinking about it, the captain comes on and says that there's a storm over DTW and we're runningout of fuel circling, so we're goingto go to Grand Rapids to refuel and wait it out cause this system is super weird and is actuslly stalling out over the airport and they're not letting anyone land. Could this day and this whole sequence of plane rides get any worse??! We took off at 145pm central, we were supposed to land in Detroit at 4pm, it's now 430 and we're stuck in Grand Rapids. So I have to call Dad again and say, 'I hope you're not on your way...'
'why?' 'We're in Grand Rapids, DTW isn't letting anyone land cause of some storm.' 'It's not even RAINING here!' 'Are you serious??' 'YES! oh wait, yeah it's starting to sprinkle.'

So I tell him the story we got from the pilot about how they have NO IDEA how long this will take cause this system is coming from the wrong direction and we just have to wait for DTW to start accepting planes again and we have to wait for everyone who was in front of us to land first. He;s getting off the highway and will wait for me to let him know when we're taking off cause it should only be about 20 mins to dtw. So then I called Erin, cause I thought this would be pretty funny since she knew about my first trip to MN last Wednesday. She did, but then she pulled up the radar for me and gave me the skinny on the storm - which looked likeit was starting to break up.. Sweet!! and just tehn the pilot comes on saying that we'll be taking off in 5-10 mins. Sweet again! so I get off the phone with her, update my dad and then take a little nap.. an HOUR later we took off with the pilot saying it'd be about 20 mins til we get to dtw. 1/2 hour later, I'm sitting there going, if we're circling again I bet they really don't want to tell us.. I'm getting all squirrely constantly craning my neck to see what we're doing out the window (I was in the aisle). And then we finally landed... at 6pm. yuk.

But I'm hone now and I had an awesome salad and stayed up til 2am chatting with my dad about all sorts of stuff. Best talk we've ever had, which gets me all smiley =)! I just founf out that my dad as a highschool football player thought the most fun thing in the world was crashing into people at full speed. Hilarious.

4 Comments:

Blogger geekedout said...

yeah, traveling is always a hecktic mess with stupid smelly people doing weird things. on my way to austrailia on the dtw-chicago leg, some lady dumped her whole cup of pepsi on me when she was telling an "animated" story to her friend.

6/27/2006 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you,

Traveling by plane is annoying and frustrating, but it would be one heckofa swim from yer neck o the woods.
Caroline gave me your site, and now I know.

When you coming to Colorado to hang out?

-Caz and Maggie

6/27/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I will be in Grand Junction, CO for a wedding on Oct. 7.. We will be flying into San Jose, CA on Oct 5th (probably), driving quickly across the desert and mountains to get to the wedding and then road tripping our time getting back to CA for me to fly out the 15th.

How far are you from GJ??

6/28/2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

I actually had a similar experience coming home from MI. There was some shit cloud moving across the Midwest (go figure), and the flight from Minn to DTW was late by like an hour. So I start talking to the ppl in DTW, "This plane isn't going to make it to Minn. in time for me to catch my plane to SJ, and its the last one of the day. I have family here that I can stay with, would you plz just reschedule my plane?" Response: "Sir, we are currently expecting the plane to leave 30mins late, and arrive with pleanty of time to catch your flight"

What happened? I was 1.5hrs late to Minn, and had to sleep in the airport and catch the 9am flight to SF. I figured it out, and it cost me an extra $30 in food and gas, and the airlines don't have to do shit because 'GOD' did it. My only question is what if I don't believe in God?

7/05/2006 5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home